What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer through web pages. They are tools that have a role essential for the provision of many information society services. Among other things, they enable a website to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or their computer and, depending on the information obtained, can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
Depending on who is the entity that manages the domain from which cookies are sent and treats the data obtained can be to distinguish two types:
– Own cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal computer from a managed computer or domain by the publisher itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
– Third-party cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
In the event that cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself, but the information that is collected through these is managed by a third party, cannot be considered as own cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the length of time they remain stored in the client’s browser, it could be about:
– Session Cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a website. It is often used to store information that is only of interest to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of purchased products).
– Persistent cookies: the data are still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed during a period of time, a period defined by the cookie holder, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies according to the purpose for which the data obtained is processed:
– Technical Cookies: those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and the use of the different options or services that exist in it, such as, by, e.g., control traffic and data communication, identify session, access access parties to remember the elements that make up an order, to carry out the purchase process of an order, to carry out the purchase process of an order the request for registration or participation in an event, use safety elements during navigation, store content to broadcast videos or sound or share content through social networks.
– Personalization Cookies: allow the user to access the service with some characteristics of character general predefined in function of a series of criteria in the terminal of the user as for example they would be the language, the type of browser through which it accesses the service, the regional configuration from which it accesses the service, etc.
– Analysis Cookies: they allow the person responsible for them to track and analyse the behaviour of the data users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookie is used in measuring the activity of websites, application or platform and for profiling navigation of users of such sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in the function of the analysis of usage data made by users of the service.
– Advertising Cookies: allow the most efficient management of advertising spaces.
– Behavioral advertising cookies: they store information on the behavior of users obtained from through the continuous observation of their sailing habits, which allows them to develop a specific profile to display advertising according to it.
Deactivation and deletion of cookies
You have the option to allow, block, or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options in the browser installed on your computer. By disabling cookies, some of the available services may no longer be operational. The how to disable cookies is different for each browser, but can usually be done from the Tools menu or Options. You can also consult the Help menu of the navigator.